If you missed the early application deadline to sit for the HMDCB exam, don’t worry! Attendees of AAHPM’s Assembly and virtual assembly will receive a discount code to waive the $250 late fee. Simply stop by the HMDCB booth, #418, and ask for the code.
Hospice medical directors are a diverse group of professionals, many of whom have followed varied career paths leading to their affiliation with hospice programs. Thus, some may be unable or choose not to undertake full hospice and palliative medicine subspecialty board certification through ABMS or AOA. These same physicians, however, do desire a formal recognition process that will validate their commitment and provide a solid foundation for their work as hospice medical directors.
By applying to become Hospice Medical Director Certified® (HMDC®), physicians can achieve profession recognition and credibility, increase your professional marketability, and enhance the team approach that is essential to successful hospice care.
To earn the HMDC credential, licensed physicians from the United States and Canada must
- Demonstrate 400 hours of broad hospice-related activities during the past 5 years
- Conform to HMDCB Code of Professional Conduct
- Meeting ONE of the follow 3 eligibility pathways:
- Practice Pathway: 2 years of work experience in a hospice setting:
- Certification Pathway: Current certification in hospice and palliative medicine (HPM) through ABMS, AOA, or ABHPM:
- Training Pathway: Successful completion of an HPM-accredited fellowship training program:
- Pass a certification exam.
Learn more about HMDCB at www.HMDCB.org. Be sure to visit HMDCB in booth #418 at Assembly to receive your discount card!